We are ready for the testing (first build) phase; we will hopefully have a working prototype in a pair of weeks!
Short update on the project:
Most of the joints have been reworked and the central beam is now leaner by 5 cm (height), now we’re finally ready to get a quotation for the milling and start to build the prototype.
Once built (and tested)we will release the first version of the assembly manual.
Past issues solved in this release :
- The outer frame angle joint ( A in the picture ) has been reworked and now it’s both easier to assemble and cheaper.
- After a short consideration we decided to keep the pieces fit to 3 plywood sheets to increase the compatibility of the schemes to the most common sizes available on the market.
- The proportions have been reworked and now the overall design is leaner and lighter. We are trying to “carve out” as much material as possible.
Notable issues still to be tested/solved :
- dowels : few pieces ( LEGS) sport the holes for inserting connecting dowels on their outer side. It’s ugly but it was the cheapest way to fix the leg together without working on a two side milling.
- legs-to bracket : this connection will be thoroughly tested on the prototype; realistically we’ll go toward designing a single leg+bracket piece in stead to the current two; The piece should end up being stronger and simpler.
We are still working on a the 3d model unreal engine walkable demo.